Friday, November 2, 2007

We're here - finally!

Okay, so Jennie and I are here on Friday afternoon at the Kairos Retreat Center in Buenos Aires, Argentina. A quick recap of the last 30 hours or so...

- I suppose I could give you the long version of our troubles with American Airlines, but I'll spare you all that fun. I'll also spare you the sermon on learning patience or whatever. We finally boarded the plane around 10:30am on Thursday. Of course the plane didn't actually take off until after NOON because they did not have enough food for everyone, so we had to wait for "AirChef" trucks to bring our food. And yes, another electrical problem. But I said I would spare you the details, so...

- Our flight was pretty uneventful. Lots of reading, lots of iPod listening, everyone trying to sleep, but few people actually succeeding at that. It was about an 11-hour flight, and we arrived at Buenos Aires airport around 1:00am Argentina time - that's 12:00am Ohio time, etc. Jennie and I watched an episode of LOST on the iPod. We talked about our visit a little, and worked on the first session for the retreat. I listened to two sermons by Pastor Dave Smith from The Chapel that were excellent. If you know Dave, you have to give him his props for insight and humor and challenge.

- When we got off the plane, we went through customs, got our bags - everything pretty smooth, even though it was hard for Jennie or me to stay awake. It was GREAT to see Dave Martin's smiling face to greet us here, and he helped us get our stuff out to his car for a late-night drive to the retreat center.

- Dave drove us through town and I pretty much kept my eyes shut - totally tired. I think we both fell asleep on the way to the retreat center. We arrived close to 2:00am and got our stuff in and just crashed. It was great to hear Dave say, "We're going to start the morning session on time, but you guys just sleep as long as you need." We did. Well, at least eight hours or so, and then we got up, got dressed, and showered, but not in that order.

- We got to meet all the missionaries here and have lunch a little while ago. It's their opportunity to relax, get away together to study, pray, and be in a very pretty part of God's creation. As I type this, I see lots of beautiful trees, gorgeous weather (75+ and completely blue sky), lots of birds - it's a nice retreat place.

Anyhow, we're grateful for safe travel, warm welcomes, and the chance to spend some time with God and with some fellow believers for the next few days. Please pray that Jennie and I will continue to gain strength to encourage and fellowship with these precious brothers and sisters in Christ.

If you are reading this blog, and hoping that your package was delivered safely to the McCamans, Baileys, or Martins - consider it done. If you are reading this, and wondering how Jennie (and the baby) liked the egg rolls the other night - she actually got a salad.

A few things I've learned about Argentina in just the last few hours...
- It's actually a very diverse nation, with many people coming from Europe and from North America.
- They don't like spicy food (what's up with that?)
- Lots of people like the tango and are good at soccer. Apparently, I will fit in just fine. (ha ha)
- Argentina (and it's people) are nothing like Mexico. So don't expect to hear stories about salsa and me having conversations with people about food. It's not going to happen. And that's just fine with me!
- I am excited to learn at least SOME of the language. The "Coffee Break Spanish" podcast teaches you Spanish in 15 minutes a day. Muy Bien!

No, I have not asked anyone if they know Manu Ginobili or Anderson Varejao yet.

We love you guys, and thanks for posting on our blog! More to come! Vominos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you made it safely - we're praying for you. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you arrived safely!
Lots of people praying for you!
We love you, Mom & Dad Underwood