Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday morning visit with Berazategui Church...

This was easily one of the most memorable Sundays of my life. I got to visit three church families in Buenos Aires, and experience some wonderful worship, conversation, and encouragement with brothers and sisters in Christ. Today began with a drive to Berazategui with Dave Martin. Just a few days ago, I was privileged to serve with and get to know some of the people in this wonderful church at their food and clothing outreach. That previous connection made the chance to worship together very sweet. Apparently, a group from Delaware Grace Brethren had visited this same church about three years ago! Some of the people here remember Dustyn and Robin Vanzant. Very cool!


After about thirty minutes of greetings, conversation, and yes - Mate (MAH-tay), Gary McCaman welcomed everyone and we started to sing some songs together.



The guitar player for the worship team was Pablo. You might remember him from Friday night's dinner with Alice Peacock. Pablo was the only guy involved, and there were about eight girls that led the singing together. I was able to record some of the singing, and hope to have a worship/memory CD of all the great times in Buenos Aires.





During an interview with Team Corrientes, team member Alice Peacock asked that the people of Berazategui pray for them and for opportunities to share Christ. She read Colossians 4:2-6. Ironically, that was the EXACT passage of Scripture that I had prepared to preach on this morning! Obviously, the Holy Spirit had brought different people and different moments together with a common theme and message for all of us.
















After a wonderful update from Team Corrientes, I was privileged to preach on Colossians 4:2-6 - one of my favorite passages. I encouraged them to pray for their friends who are far from God. Colossians challenges us to pray and to be ready for opportunities to represent Jesus Christ to our friends and family. At the end, we prayed, and had many good conversations afterwards.

I showed many pictures of Jennie, Allie, and Luke - and I miss them very much.

The people in Berazategui have a very warm and casual gathering where people laugh and feel like they can be themselves. It is NOT a formal church - I wore jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. I did not want people to notice expensive or brand-name clothing. I wanted them to just see me and hear whatever God wanted them to hear. It was great to see Gary and Linda McCaman in their "element" - this is their church family here. Gary was the "emcee" of the worship event, telling jokes, and welcoming people and encouraging just about everyone. Linda was helping people left and right and passing around some wonderful warm mate. Good times. I will miss these wonderful people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Sunday! After this, two services will seem like a piece of cake.

I was with Luke in the nursery yesterday morning, & he talked about Daddy two times!

Hasta pronto & Bon voyage!
Kristina