Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Night @ Jose Marmol Church...

Tonight, we went to the church that Dave and Ruth Ann Martin have attended for nine years. Tonight's church service was a baptism service, and lots of friends and family were there. The place was standing room only. I'd love to post some pics for you now, but I can't. I think it's my fault - I plugged my camera dock into a 220-volt outlet without using a transformer.

(Mind you, I don't really understand the previous sentence.)

What I do understand, however, is that the camera dock and USB link to our laptop is not functional at this time.

Anyhow, back to tonight...

We saw about 13 people get baptized. We got to hear their testimonies, see their tears, and watch the congregation respond. One of their elders, Tito and several others led the baptisms. There was also a baby dedication, as a daughter of one of the guys who got baptized was dedicated in front of the church.

Somewhere in the midst of that, I got the privilege of preaching on Colossians 3. Steve Bailey interpreted for me, which felt like leading a marrying couple in their wedding vows. I needed to pause about every 7.3 words so that Steve could translate the previous phrase into Spanish. The sermon was about the difference Christ makes in your life - he makes you a new person, with a life of compassion and love for others and faith in HIm. At least that's a quick synopsis of Colossians 3:5-17. Take a look! My only regret is that I had planned to mention "mate" (see the post a few posts below) and also mention Allie and Luke - but I forgot!

It was a wonderful church with lots of love and kisses - no, seriously. Everybody kisses everybody on the cheek when you say hello. I learned to say something like, "Bendiciones" to all the people who got baptized. I think it means "Blessings."

I have not had any embarrassing moments where I use some Spanish word the wrong way and totally embarrass everyone. But it would be fun to have a story like that to tell later.

This afternoon, we got to talk with Allie and Luke (and Jennie's parents) on the phone for a few minutes via OneSuite.com. 3cents a minute, baby!

Off to dinner at the Martins (who have wireless internet!) More later... Hasta Pronto!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brother, I came here on admonition of Gary M. whose emails I receive. I did my first mission trip there in '04, age 47 at the time. A part of my heart is there as I know yours is also. Also with the missionaries and friends from your home church. Your right about the meaning bendiciones. You also probably did say something ridiculous in Spanish but didn't know it. They are very gracious to those who try.
God bless, Don K.