Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sights & People from Wednesday Ministry...

Tables of clothing are set up for people to look at and pick out one or two pieces per visit. Clothing is donated by families from the church. The church is NOT a building. The church is God's people who are called together to serve His purposes in their community. These people are BEING the church as they help others in need.



Every adult who comes in to get food or clothing is also asked if they would like to have someone read the Bible with them and pray. Almost everyone says yes, because the people from this church are earning the right to be heard. Each visitor signs up with a notecard that helps the ministry volunteers keep track of how much of the Bible they have already read. They start in the book of John.

I got to sit and read with several of the women volunteers, and ask people questions and pray for them through a translator. I also enjoyed sitting with several guys groups and sharing my testimony and discussing any questions they have about the Bible or faith in Christ. Some of the visitors have wound up participating in this church, and others are still seeking. There were a lot of kids, lots of single moms, lots of hungry and needy people. And this is just one neighborhood. At it's height, this ministry was helping over 400 people each Wednesday.

Did you know that there are places in this world where a bag of food and a couple of pieces of clothing can make a huge difference in someone's week? That they will wait hours to get it? That they would be open to reading the Gospel of John and praying with you each week? That they would start asking questions and seeing God for themselves if they saw Christ in you?

Imagine the world-wide potential of God's Church if we all started caring more about feeding people than we do about "being fed."

You see, God's idea of church is NOT about what we can get out of it. It's about what we all have to GIVE as a part of it.

I got to meet these guys with Gary McCaman (front, far right) and share my faith in Christ. Incidentally, the guy next to Gary in the front row was the first Argentine person to ask me if I had heard of Manu Ginobili. We had some great conversation. The guy in the back-left has been a Christian for years and was excited to meet me and wished me well. All of these guys are in their eighties and have benefited from this ministry in their neighborhood. I told them that my wife's name was "Jennifer," and one of them goes, "Jennifer Lopez?"



Gary's wife, Linda, introduced me to this lady visitor who is very well dressed. Can you read the front of her shirt? I couldn't believe that, of all the days to wear that shirt, she wore it on Wednesday! What are the odds of that?










These girls were helping their mother volunteer. Of course I showed them a picture of Allie and gave them some jelly beans. I am learning a little bit of Spanish every day.

No comments: